Montgomery City Council recently approved legislation establishing a Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA) for commercially zoned property within the Heritage District, the Old Montgomery Gateway District, The Marketplace, and Montgomery Quarter. This new initiative will allow patrons 21+ to purchase alcoholic beverages in a designated cup from permitted establishments and carry the drinks within a defined area.
The addition of the DORA to the community will provide an opportunity to continue to build on Montgomery’s lively, pedestrian-friendly environment in designated walkable areas. The initiation of the DORA will support local businesses with increased foot traffic allowing patrons to enjoy beverages outside – enhancing an outdoor social atmosphere.
What are the rules?
- DORA hours are Monday through Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., Friday from 5:00 p.m. to midnight, Saturday from noon to midnight, and Sunday from noon to 9:00 p.m. Special hours of DORA operation will be allowed as designated in advance by the City Manager for holidays and/or special events.
- A plastic, reusable, designated cup is to be used for alcoholic beverages within the DORA. DORA cups can be purchased at participating establishments for a nominal fee.
- Participating DORA businesses will be identified by a DORA window cling.
- Establishments will have maps showing the limits of the DORA, a DORA boundaries map will be posted on the City’s website, and signs will also be located at key egress areas of the DORA indicating ‘No Alcohol Beyond This Point’.
- Once a DORA beverage has left an establishment, it must be consumed before entering another participating business. Empty cups may be taken into another participating establishment for another beverage.
- The Police Department will conduct routine patrols and will enforce responsible behavior. The boundaries of the DORA will be strictly enforced. Alcoholic beverages may not be carried outside of the boundary area or patrons are subject to legal consequences.
The City received approval for establishing the DORA through the Ohio Department of Commerce, which goes into effect on November 1, 2020. Additional DORA information can be found on the City’s DORA Information page.