The Montgomery Police Department is joining the nationwide trend of offering a “Safe Zone” where online buyers and sellers can carry out their transactions. With several nationally published reports of Craigslist and Ebay transactions going tragically bad, safety and security has become an issue for all involved.
Often the biggest dilemmas for online buyers and sellers is where to meet and their personal safety. The Montgomery Police Department is opening up its’ parking lot at 10150 Montgomery Road. as a “Safe Zone” for buyers and sellers to safely meet and carry out their transactions. The key benefit of this project is that an ill intended buyer or seller is less likely to victimize someone at a police department. The police officers are not involved in facilitating the transactions but the Department hopes to offer a “Safe Zone” where users will have the peace of mind that if needed, officers are not far away.
Additionally we recommend that prior to setting up the transaction you do the following;
- Clarify all details of the transaction and get a description of who will be at the transaction and what type of vehicle they will be in.
- The buddy system is always a good idea as well. Bring a friend or family member to the transaction.
- Conduct the transaction during daylight hours.
- If they hesitate at all about meeting at a police department, that is a hint to end the deal.
- Unless absolutely necessary, do not reveal your home address.
- Keep a safe distance from the other person and never get in their vehicle.
- Visualize an escape route in the event you need to get out of a bad situation.
- If you feel uncomfortable about any aspect of the transaction, trust your instincts and move on.
This community service should afford our residents some extra confidence that their transactions can be carried out in a safe environment. If you have any questions regarding this program feel free to contact the Montgomery Police Department at 513-985-1600.