The Montgomery Police Department knows the holidays are a special time for families and crooks and recommends the following tips to help keep homeowners, families, and friends safe throughout the chaos of the holiday season.
- Be aware of the surroundings, be alert to suspicious people and vehicles.
- Carry wallets and credit cards in a secure front pocket and avoid carrying a purse if possible. Only carry the amount of cash necessary for holiday purchases.
- Keep shopping bags close to the body. Avoid carrying a lot of packages, take breaks during shopping and load shopping bags into the locked trunks of vehicles. If possible, move vehicles to different parking lots after placing packages in a vehicle’s trunk (possibly closer to the next shopping destination).
- When arriving home and approached by someone in the driveway, remain in the car with windows and doors locked and call the police immediately. If someone attacks, give up the property.
- Only use ATMs in public, well-lit areas and partner up with another person if possible. Count the money in the vehicle, not at the ATM.
- Do not display gifts in the home where they can be seen from a window or doorway.
- If going on vacation or leaving for a period of time during the holidays have a friend or family member check on the home. Have them collect the mail and leave emergency contact information for them. Homeowners may also contact the Montgomery Police Department and ask for a vacation check while out of town.
- Only participate in holiday charities with known entities or obtained previous information about from the Better Business Bureau.
Remember that the holiday season is a season to be happy. Happiness starts with safety and safety starts with the individual.
*Source: Ohio Crime Prevention Association