Every year, holiday fires cause approximately $930 million in damages and injure 2,600 people.
Help keep families safe by following these 10 holiday fire safety tips:
- Install smoke detectors; change the batteries every year. Install carbon monoxide detectors and make sure those batteries are fresh too.
- Make sure to use a fireplace screen.
- Never burn wrapping paper, boxes or other trash in your fireplace.
- Don’t leave a fire unattended; put the fire out before going to bed.
- Make sure candles are in stable and secure holders. Also, keep them away from combustible materials and small children. Never leave candles unattended.
- For real Christmas trees, put it in a stable stand and keep it fresh by checking the water level daily. A dried tree is more susceptible to fire. Keep the tree away from heat sources that could dry it out. Most trees dry out in two weeks so do not leave trees up past the holidays.
- Check holiday lights for cracked or broken bulbs, frayed wires, and loose plugs. Don’t use lights that aren’t safe. Recycle them!
- Use lights approved by testing labs like Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM).
- Use lights only in their designated areas; never use “indoor only” lights outdoors.
- If the smoke, fire, or carbon monoxide detectors go off, get everyone outside and call 911. Do not try to solve the problem yourself.