The Hoffman House, designated a local landmark in 1989, provides Montgomery with an example of a Colonial Revival residence along one of the most attractive and historical streets in the city. Sitting at 7887 Cooper Road, two lots east of the intersection of Cooper and Main, this two-story frame house is located on one of the original lots in Nathaniel Terwilliger’s first subdivision.
Records for the Hoffman House trace the ownership back to 1856 when it was purchased by George Crain. He owned it until 1882, and it seems likely that he may have built at least the original section of the house. Based on the architecture building materials, and historical records, the original two-story front portion was constructed around 1879-1880. Since the lot was originally platted by Terwilliger in 1802, there may have been an earlier construction that was removed.
Over time, the house has evolved through several additions, including a large one-story section on the rear. Due to its location, it has maintained a residence, unlike many of the houses on West Cooper, Main Street and Montgomery, which were adapted for commercial purposes. The house is distinguished by its four-inch lap siding, end gable roof and shutters. The front door has been embellished with the Colonial Revival elements: a classical pediment supported by pilasters and a decorative eagle above the door. At one time, there were five fireplaces.
This house was owned for 48 years by the Hoffman family, from 1946-1994. Robert Hoffman, a native to Montgomery, was a member of City Council for 16 years from 1948-1964, and his wife, Ruth, was clerk of council for five years from 1963-1968. Ruth Hoffman began and operated Montgomery’s first nursery school from 1951- 1962.
“There is no better yardstick for a resident’s commitment to a community than the willingness to serve selflessly.” * The Hoffman’s provided themselves on more than one occasion equal to this measure. Ruth’s father, William Logsdon, a carpenter and builder, and her brother, William Jr, helped build the additions to the house.
While not the oldest or most ornate building in the city, the Hoffman House is an integral part of the character and streetscape of Cooper Road. Along with the Emily Rees House next door, and the three other landmark properties along the south side of Cooper east of Main Street, the Hoffman House is important to the appeal of the downtown. Take a stroll along the sidewalk and enjoy the beauty that these preserved houses provide.
The ornament is available for purchase for $8.00 each, or two for $14.00. A complete set of the ornaments (21 ornaments) costs $147.00 and includes a complimentary stained glass window ornament. Ornaments can be purchased at Montgomery City Hall throughout the year. Kaye Gaffney, ornament project coordinator, can be reached at 513-791-9025 for more information. To learn more about Montgomery’s historic Landmarks, go to this link or this link . To learn more about the Landmark Ornament project, go to this link.
Information for this report was provided by Frank Davis (City of Montgomery) and * Steven C. Kottsy (1989).