Enjoy a safe and happy Halloween
October is an exciting time for Montgomery residents. Area foliage will be changing colors soon and parents will be shopping for the perfect Halloween costume. Here are a few Halloween safety tips from your friendly neighborhood police officers.
- Make sure costumes are reflective. If not, add reflective tape.
- Consider glow sticks, light-up shoes or flashlights to enhance visibility.
- Some masks can limit visibility so use makeup and hats as an alternative.
- Only purchase flame-resistant costumes. This can be found on the clothing label or packaging.
- Check costume sizes to prevent falls.
- Remove any items from front yard that kids can trip over including hoses, toys, bikes and lawn decorations.
- Check and replace outdoor lights.
- Remove leaves or snow from sidewalks and steps.
- Crate or restrain pets who could become aggressive.
- Reduce fire risk by using electronic candles or glowsticks instead of wax candles.
Trick or Treat Trail
- A parent or responsible adult should accompany younger kids throughout the neighborhood.
- Carry flashlights with fresh batteries.
- Unaccompanied older children should have a planned route approved by parents. Set time limits on when they should check-in.
- Never go into a home or car for treats.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on.
The Montgomery Police will be patrolling neighborhoods throughout the City on Halloween evening. They will have treats to pass out, so please take some time to meet the men and women who protect the community. Please inspect all candy prior to allowing children to eat it and remember to ration their access. Please call the Montgomery Police Department if you see any suspicious activity and enjoy the festivities.
Source: American Academy of Pediatrics