Construction of the much-anticipated roundabout project at the intersection of Montgomery Road and Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway is here!
On Oct. 23, City Council authorized the City Manager Brian Riblet to enter into a contract with John R. Jurgensen Company for the construction of this very important project. Seven bids were received from interested contractors, and prices came in very competitive and under the engineer’s estimate.
The budget for the Contract will be $7,750,000, of which 70 percent will be paid for by a federal grant received from the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana (OKI) Regional Council of Governments, and administered through the Ohio Department of Transportation. The City was also successful in obtaining an additional $300,000 in Municipal Road Funds and $150,000.00 in Transportation Improvement District Funds for construction of the project.
John R. Jurgensen Company’s contracted scope of work will include:
- Demolition of existing infrastructure, including the removal of the existing bridge on Montgomery Road;
- Reconstructing Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway on a substantial amount of embankment to bring the highway up to grade with Montgomery Road;
- Installation of the modified two-lane roundabout;
- Widening of the east side of Montgomery Road to accommodate the roundabout and to add right turn lanes;
- Installation of a traffic signal at the Montgomery Road and Main Street “split.”
- Installation of traffic control signage and street lighting;
- Installation of sidewalk running along the east side of Montgomery Road and crosswalks;
- Extensive water main and storm sewer installation, along with other utility relocation; and
- Resurfacing of Montgomery Road within the project limits.
Construction will be performed in phases to maintain traffic on Montgomery Road and Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway; however, traffic delays are anticipated. Work is expected to begin first thing 2020 and will last 12 to 18 months. More details on the construction phasing and schedule will be provided on the City’s website here and in future Montgomery Bulletins.
Regular construction updates will be provided on the City’s website as work progresses. For additional information on this or other projects, please contact Gary Heitkamp, public works director, at 513-792-8321.