2014 Annual Report
2014 Elected Officials
- Ann Combs
- Chris Dobrozsi
- Gerri Harbison
- Craig Margolis
- Lynda Roesch
- Todd Steinbrink
- Ken Suer
The City of Montgomery operates under a council-manager form of government with seven elected City Council members working with a city manager appointed by City Council with the support of a clerk of council and a law director. All City Council members are elected at large by a popular vote of residents for staggered terms of four years. Once seated, City Council members select the Mayor who serves for a two-year term. City Council is responsible for establishing policies and enacting legislation necessary for municipal operations.
City Council appoints the city manager, law director and clerk of council. By charter, the city manager serves as the City’s chief executive, administrative and law enforcement officer. City Council operates with six standing committees: Financial Planning; Government Affairs; Law and Safety; Parks and Recreation; Planning, Zoning and Landmarks and Public Works. While City Council members are very busy in their roles as elected officials, the work of City Council is largely centered in determination of policy.
During 2014, City Council conducted public meetings, regular meetings, special sessions and committee meetings. In an effort to maintain communications between City Council and the boards, commissions and civic organizations, several initiatives were undertaken including:
- Each board/commission chair was invited to attend a discussion meeting to update City Council on the activities and work of their respective board/commission for the previous year.
- City Council and the administration conducted an annual board and commission member orientation session.
- A Community Leadership Forum was held to provide an opportunity for volunteers, representatives of neighborhood associations, civic groups, local school officials , elected officials and City administration to discuss topics of interest.
As part of City Council’s responsibilities for establishing policies and enacting legislation, it oversaw operations and administration of a cash budget of $25,526,693 and adopted 63 ordinances and resolutions, the highlights of which follow:
2014 Council Action
- Adopted a tax budget for 2015
- Adopted a five-year Capital Improvement Program for the City of Montgomery
- Adopted amendments to the Montgomery Zoning Code governing conditional uses
- Amended Resolution No. 19, 2007, establishing a Budgetary/Financial Policy for the City of Montgomery relative to targeted fund balances for effective planning and emergency financial needs
- Authorized the City Manager to enter into contracts with CDS Associates, Inc. for professional services related to general engineering and architectural services; with Construction Process Solutions, Ltd to provide construction consulting services; with Swimsafe Pool Management, Inc. to provide services related to the operation and management of the Montgomery Municipal Pool; with Frost Brown Todd, LLC to provide special counsel services; with Richard G. Gibson to serve as Magistrate for the Montgomery Mayor’s Court; with Donnellon, Donnellon and Miller to provide legal services; and with the Sycamore Community School District Board of Education for the School Resource Officer to Sycamore High School for the school years 2014-2015
- Authorized the City Manager to enter into a labor agreement with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Ohio Council 8, AFl-CIO for wages and benefits from September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2017
- Authorized the City Manager to enter into contracts with Barrett Paving Materials, Inc. for the 2014 Street Resurfacing Program; with American Pavements, Inc. for the 2014 Bituminous “Black Mat’ Surfacing Project; with Evans Landscaping, Inc. for the demolition of the former Chevrolet Dealership property; and with North American Salt Company for the purchase of de-icing rock salt for the 2015 season
- Authorized the purchase of real estate with the Board of County Commissioners of Hamilton County, Ohio
- Authorized an Agreement with MCDC Holdings, LLC to acquire real property at 9292 Montgomery Road
- Authorized an application to the Hamilton County Department of Community Development For Block Grant Funds for the fiscal years 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Opposed the passage of House Bill 5 by the Ohio General Assembly and encouraged the adoption of the changes recommended by the Ohio Municipal League
- Provided for the Issuance of not to exceed $2,800,000 of notes by the City of Montgomery for the purpose of purchasing real estate
- Established the Community and Information Services Department
- Declared a moratorium on the collection of building and zoning permit fees for solar installations