Summer Seasonal Positions
Are you looking for a summer job where you can work outdoors? Do you take pride in your work and derive pleasure from giving areas a clean and attractive appearance? Do you prefer a work environment where you feel like you are part of a team? If so, you may be interested in one of our summer seasonal positions at the City of Montgomery.
Openings are available starting this spring and may continue up to the fall season. Successful candidates will have a strong work ethic and good team skills. Duties include watering, maintaining landscaped areas, cleaning and maintaining parks and park restrooms and other public works related tasks. Hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with a lunch break from 11:00 a.m. to Noon. Some weekend hours may also be required occasionally.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old, possess a valid driver’s license and must be able to pass a drug screen and background check. Pay range is $13.70 – $17.42 per hour. To be considered for this position, a completed City of Montgomery employment application form is required and is available at Montgomery City Hall or downloaded here. Submit the employment application and your cover letter to: City of Montgomery, attention: Human Resources Manager, 10101 Montgomery Road, Montgomery OH 45242. All application materials must be received by 5PM, March 31, 2020. EOE/ADA
The City of Montgomery is conducting an examination process to establish an eligible list for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic. (Six new positions have been budgeted for 2020 and an additional six new positions are planned for 2021.) Applications may be obtained at Montgomery City Hall, 10101 Montgomery Road, Montgomery, Ohio 45242, or downloaded here. Completed application and cover letter must be received at Montgomery City Hall by 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 3, 2020.
The written examination is scheduled to be held on Friday, April 24, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. (location to be announced.) Candidates must follow application procedures in order to be registered for the written examination.
- In order to take the written examination, applicants must have a high school diploma/GED, be a minimum of 18 years old, and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Applicants must possess a current Ohio EMT certification and current Ohio Firefighter II certification. Applicants must also possess a current Ohio EMT-Paramedic certification at time of appointment.
- A current Ohio Fire Safety Inspector certification is not required but is preferred.
- Proof of certifications must be submitted with application.
- Applicants must be able to pass all elements of the Civil Service examination process, as well a background check and post-offer psychological, polygraph and medical physical exams.
Civil Service Examination Components
- The examination process shall consist of a written test worth 40 points, an agility test worth one point, and an oral test worth 59 points. A score of 70% or higher is a passing score on the written and oral tests. The agility test is pass/fail. Failure to receive a passing score on any component of the examination process shall disqualify the applicant.
- Candidates who possess a current Ohio EMT-Paramedic certification at the time of examination and receive a passing score on the written exam will receive an additional 6 percentage points on the written exam score.
- Candidates who possess a current Ohio Fire Safety Inspector certification at the time of examination and receive a passing score on the written exam will receive an additional 3 percentage points on the written exam score.
- Candidates who are current part-time employees of the City of Montgomery Fire Department and receive a passing score on the written exam will receive an additional 5 percentage points on the written exam score.
- Candidates who were part-time employees of the City of Montgomery Fire Department any time during the period of January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2019 and resigned in good standing and receive a passing score on the written exam will receive an additional 5 percentage points on the written exam score.
Written Examination Reading List
- IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting, 6th Edition
- Brady’s Emergency Care, 13th Edition
Hourly range for this position: $24.22 to $31.03. EOE/ADA