Skip to content
Gov Ancillary, S
2016-2021 Strategic Plan
Goal 1: Montgomery delivers core services through innovation and partnerships consistent with our vision by assessing changes in customer demands, demographics and the environment.
- Strategy 1: Align the critical, core and quality of life service index to properly reflect current stakeholder expectations, considering demographics and service inventory.
- Strategy 2: Evaluate the City’s ability to positively impact local and regional traffic issues with an emphasis on maintaining a small-town feel.
- Strategy 3: Cultivate a progressive work culture that is responsive to customer service demands.
- Strategy 4: Integrate performance measurement and benchmarking into the City’s work culture
- Strategy 5: Review guiding documents (e.g., City Charter, Code of Ordinances, personnel manual, collective bargaining agreements and standard operating procedures) to assure they match the City’s service delivery model.
- Strategy 6: Evaluate the City’s infrastructure to ensure it meets current and future needs of the community.
Goal 2: Montgomery has a quality of life that makes it a premier community.
- Strategy 1: Cultivate and support effective partnerships and relationships among local organizations, residents, partners, stakeholders and employees to collaboratively build connection, ownership and pride for the community.
- Strategy 2: Use a variety of methods to communicate information based on the needs of the target audiences.
- Strategy 3: Identify and provide a variety of recreation programs and events to meet the needs of the community.
- Strategy 4: Provide a healthy and beautiful environment by building on past successes.
- Strategy 5: Improve high levels of customer satisfaction with City services that meet the needs of current and future residents.
Goal 3: Montgomery attracts and retains businesses that contribute to the long-term stability of the City, while maintaining our small town historic feel.
- Strategy 1: Work with developers to complete development/redevelopment of underutilized and/or vacant properties in the City.
- Strategy 2: Provide physical infrastructure to enhance and sustain commerce in the City.
- Strategy 3: Create an environment in the Heritage District and Old Montgomery Gateway District that attracts a sustainable retail/restaurant mix that caters to employees and residents.
- Strategy 4: Redefine and update the Montgomery brand by implementing a marketing and image campaign.
- Strategy 5: Create a redevelopment vision for the Montgomery Road Commercial Corridor from Main Street to City Hall.
- Strategy 6: Define and create gateways into the City that are worthy of our community.
- Strategy 7: Evaluate development opportunities with surrounding communities to determine if partnerships with the City would advance our strategic goals of broadening the employment base, diversifying housing stock, enhancing infrastructure and creating gateways into the City.
Goal 4: Montgomery will retain and attract quality and diverse housing options while maintaining a small town feel and effectively managing the infrastructure impacts of redevelopment.
- Strategy 1: Create a housing strategy based on changing housing demands and the market and include input from residents, builders, Planning Commission and City Council.
- Strategy 2: Identify tools to encourage the diversification of housing stock based on the Housing Strategy.
- Strategy 3: Review and update the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Code based upon the housing strategy.
- Strategy 4: Review policies to mitigate the physical impacts of infill development and evaluate changes in the fabric of neighborhoods resulting from infill development.
- Strategy 5: Identify new tools, policies and procedures to mitigate the impacts of single family infill development.
Goal 5: Montgomery’s fiscal plan supports City operations consistent with policy, while managing risk to provide services in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Strategy 1: Enhance the City’s financial position and operations by identifying and implementing new financial tools and adopting policies and procedures which promote efficiency and effectiveness.
- Strategy 2: Assess potential changes in revenue as a result of internal and/or external economic factors and plan for possible future impacts in order to remain fiscally viable. Through risk management practices, identify and assess operational decisions which may impact the City’s future financial condition and take appropriate measures to remain financially secure.
- Strategy 3: In the spirit of good stewardship educate residents, state legislators and other stakeholders on financial and tax related concepts that affect the City.