Montgomery faces an array of external challenges as we advance into the 21st Century. For other cities, these challenges to personnel, processes, technology and the environment might be difficult for the citizens and daunting for the city workers. In Montgomery, this becomes business as usual. This is because Montgomery has been proactive in planning for change. Several years ago the City’s administration, in collaboration with City Council, decided to redefine how the City operated. By reexamining how the government was managed, the Administration was able to reformulate programs, policies, functions and activities of the City so that emerging needs would be better addressed. At the same time, the government structure became more flexible to meet resident’s needs. These changes also resulted in reduced costs.As a result of these changes, the City began working more collaboratively, thus changing its culture and becoming more results-oriented and customer focused. This is the definition of a High Performing Organization at its best.
As we move forward, Montgomery plans to establish networks with a broad range of local agencies, both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations. For example, by working more closely with the Sycamore Community Schools, the City of Blue Ash and other jurisdictions, we may find ways to collaborate instead of duplicating services. Working with the local Chamber of Commerce will also help ensure a viable business community.
So what does a high performing organization look like? They typically have these five characteristics:
- A clear, well-articulated and compelling mission, such as Montgomery’s mission, “Providing superior services with integrity. Partnering with you to build a great community!”
- Strategic use of partnerships, such as working with the Sycamore School Board
- Operate with a focus on the needs of clients and customers. Montgomery has an excellent record of meeting and exceeding the needs of our citizens
- Strategic management of personnel and relationships. Montgomery has developed a flexible and cohesive workforce to confront our challenges
- Meeting the above criteria within the fiscal resources of the City
At the same time the City of Montgomery is also able to provide high product and service quality, sound financial performance and an outstanding customer value. You can be proud to know that our City team has achieved the status of a High Performance Organization.